Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

disconnected state

So my internet was down for iono a tad bit over 42 hours. And...it wasn't fun. The first day I thought the television was out too, only to find the next day it was because the boyfriend had unplugged the cable box. For that reason, on the second day I sifted through the Korean channels to find the ones with the greatest amount of American influence. The strange thing is before I got here, well, it was several years ago so maybe that has something to do with it...I would watch K-dramas. Not all the time, but iono I thought that I would HAD I known that the same show would be on at X time. Now I could probably be afforded such an opportunity, but I don't feel the urge to.

There is one Japanese drama that I actually bought online because I loved it so. And since I left the disc at home I don't remember what it was called. I think it had to do with a mother who suffered amnesia, I never finished the disc because it was lovely and romantic and....I was in a less than romantic state at that moment.

I guess ultimately this blog is about people's obsession with what is foreign. It's got that exotic allure. I remember reading the forums before getting here and people were like they'll love you if you're American because to them you're exotic. I don't always get that sense.
But now my love for K-dramas is it vanquished? I do love hearing foreign sounds and voices, but now that I'm in Korea it's in my face all the time everywhere. So it hasn't got that same shiny new appeal.

So I was singing instead, "I Want My Mtv!" watching National Geographic, finding the cartoon channels--looking for familiar faces. Now I did watch a K-Pop music video or two, but there it was. The day prior I was able to amuse myself somewhat by watching a film I discovered a year or so ago--a review soon to come.

Today I saw a wedding, and they were just so perfect.

I'm wondering when for most people the telltale signs of homesickness come to life?
I honestly don't miss home, I hadn't been home for a long time anyhow--even when I was stateside. I read on someone's blog a quote saying something along the lines of one doesn't have to be lost to be a wanderer. And maybe that's what it is, or maybe I'm just very much both of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment