Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Hello, Sunshine.

Well, it's actually quite late out here and I seem to never to get to bed at a decent hour. I spent quite a ridiculous chunk of change this weekend. We have been invited to a wedding so me that translates to many a thing: namely I need something to wear. Shopping in Korea has proposed a big question mark for me. I love shopping, I do. I really really do. Limited communication however, puts a slight damper on things. The little shops too, although they are something I enjoy also propose another issue...only so many dresses per store etc...so there's a lot of stuff to weed through. Similarly, when another expat told me shopping was intimidating here I kind of looked at her like she had to be kidding--but ever since then I guess it's had an effect on me. It is kind of intimidating, she said something along the line of everything is in one size...and for us size 10 girls... one size clearly does NOT fit all.

The pair of boots I bought, and were pictured just a couple posts ago...are a tight squeeze. I find myself asking shopkeepers "if this will fit" expecting them to know what I mean. That is a phrase I need to learn in Korean for sure, but unless they give me a yes or no...it wont help much anyhow. I ask and most of the time I don't believe anyway, they tell me no...and I think they are overestimating my size. Three had told me yes, one for a dress (I bought several weeks ago--it's short but layered it works just fine) and the other for two were for leggings. The leggings from shopkeeper one, I bought two: a grey lace with white flowers bit... that does fit like a glove... the other a ripped brown piece that..cuts me bum off in a rather unflattering way.

The next shopkeeper I bought these black sexy tights from, and when I took them out of the package I was in shock. They were TEENY TINY.... but lo and behold a lot of stretching later and they fit like a dream. The black pair will hopefully be part of my wedding outfit.

Anywho, because I have the patience of a two year old and a credit card...and a knack for spending too much time doing "research" on stupid shit on the internet...I ended up getting a dress along with several other items from ASOS. Hopefully this fits beautifully so I can post pictures and do a review. Here's to crossing my fingers.

I'm starting to follow more expat and Korean blogs, and who knows if ppl will start following me... but if they do I was wondering what websites ppl shop from. I'm still waiting on my boyfriend getting his ARC card for Korean websites, but even then my abilities will be limited (reading all that Korean will just torture my brain). As far as European/American webpages I'm interested to know where everyone shops. Asos promises to get me my shipment on or before this Friday so I shelled out 30 some odd bucks for shipment. I figured that was a fair rate.

The next purchase I'm looking forward (well, kind of) to is some Foundation. I am TIRED of the whitening creams here. Me whiter = washed out. I'm quite tan, I know that... and I don't mind it. I want something that is in my color and isn't cakey. Is that too much to ask? I really want to try Nars Sheer Glow Foundation but I don't know if I can find that here at all...

And I know much of this blog so far dwells on shallow things (maybe less so in the movie review). But that's kind of where I am at in life? I could provide an explanation...but...eh... I'm kind of unapologetic feeling about it.

2 comments:

  1. If you want my honest opinion about shopping in Korea I have compared many small markets to Piranhas. They are more interested in getting money from you rather than telling you if its too big or too small for you, they are too shy to try to use English and they will escape if they can. In other words they will giggle and find someone they think can speak English and leave you wondering why you even came in the store in the first place.

    Good Luck... I find going to the Department Store or big name brands like Bean Pole, Who are you if you can find it somewhere or just ordering on line the best. I like Hollister have you ordered there before?


    Hope that helps. I am also trying to read more peoples blogs these days... something that I haven't done much of before. Thanks to you actually I was inspired to find out more from other people. Gotta read to attract some people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got facebook... nicholas Palmer University of Montana...
    palmdawg03@yahoo.com email.


    Anyways I have to help my boss today at 4 its weird at my work place lets email and try to fix a better date.

    ReplyDelete